As you all know that August in Georgia is typically the hottest month of the year. And during the hot summer months it is more important than ever to stay hydrated, especially if you are doing any type of
landscaping work around your home.
The most essential nutrient to the human body is our friend H2O and is full of important properties that keeps your body functioning at its best. Our body has about 70 percent water, according to LiveScience.com, which makes so important to keep hydrated. Water keeps you hydrated but also helps with many other functions in the body like proper circulation and body temperature.
At Pro Touch Landscapes we are constantly reminding our crews to stay hydrated throughout the day and here are some tips on how you can stay hydrated this summer:
– Drink enough water to prevent thirst.
– Monitor fluid loss by checking the color of your urine. It should be pale yellow and not dark yellow, too smelly or cloudy.
– For short-duration (less than 60 minutes), low-to-moderate-intensity activity, water is a good choice to drink before, during and after exercise.
– Any time you exercise in extreme heat or for more than one hour, supplement water with a sports drink that contains electrolytes and 6 percent to 8 percent carbohydrates.
– Consider all fluids, including tea, coffee, juices, milk and soups (though excluding alcohol, which is extremely dehydrating).
– Eat at least five cups of fruits and vegetables per day for optimum health, as they all contain various levels of water and the all-important nutrient potassium.
– You can also replace fluid and sodium losses with watery foods that contain salt and potassium, such as soup and vegetable juices.
– Wear long sleeves and light colored clothes to protect yourself from the sun’s rays and as a way to stay cool.